Do you want to put a smile on someone’s face today? You could help to make their day a little better. As smiling is contagious, you might also find that you make somebody else smile too. Here are 20 ideas
1) Send flowers
Send some flowers to a friend, partner, or loved one. You could send the flowers to their workplace, or home. If you’re worried about somebody being there to take the flowers in, then you could even send letterbox flowers.
2) Compliment a friend or work colleague
If you think somebody looks nice, or that they’re wearing an item that you like, then tell them. It’s nice to be nice and that comment may well give somebody a spring in their step for the rest of the day.
3) Donate something to charity
We all have things lying around that we no longer need. So why don’t you do a declutter and donate the things you no longer have use for to a charity? You will be making space, whilst helping somebody else in the process. It’s a win-win situation!
4) Take a friend out to lunch
If there’s somebody you’d like to spend some time with, then then invite them out to lunch. If you can afford to pick up the bill then do so. It’s nice to treat those we care about on occasion.
5) Let someone know you miss them
If you’ve been thinking about somebody you miss lately, then tell them! If you wouldn’t feel confident enough to tell them to their face, or over the phone, then why not text them to say?
6) Make a surprise telephone call, just to say hi
It’s nice to take the time to say hello. So why not call somebody you haven’t seen in a while to say hi. It’s almost guaranteed to put a smile on their face.
7) Hold a door open for someone walking behind you
Show a bit of courtesy to the person walking behind you and open up the door for them. That simple act is sure to make them smile.
8) Hug your partner for no reason
Ask your partner (or a close friend or family member) for a hug, just because. It’s nice to have that moment of closeness. Especially if it’s unexpected.
9) Leave a joke on a friends answer machine
Imagine your friend, dialling into their voicemail and hearing a joke that you’ve left. Do it. Just because!
10) Send a card to a friend
There’s something quite special about receiving a card, just because. So send one to a friend, telling them how special they are. You could even bake them a cake!
11) Give up your seat on the train to someone when there aren’t any left
This simple act can go a long way. If you’re happy to stand then why not offer your seat up? You’ll probably make that person’s day.
12) Share your umbrella on a rainy day
We’ve all been in a position where it’s started to rain and you’ve forgotten your brolly. So if you happen to be the person that remembered, then offer to share your umbrella.
13) Ask a friend if they need anything while you’re out shopping
Sometimes life can be busy and overwhelming, so having a friend offer to grab you something from the shop can go a long way. So before you head to the shop, have a thing about the people that you know who would appreciate you grabbing a loaf of bread for them.
If they won’t appreciate anything from the shops, then perhaps you could offer to so something else? Most people would appreciate an offer of doing the ironing!
14) When it’s raining, plan an indoor picnic with your children
Don’t let the rain stop your fun. Instead, arrange an indoor picnic for the kids. They will love it. there will be smiles all around.
15) Leave a love letter somewhere where your partner will find it
In their lunchbox, in their car, in front of the bathroom mirror. You decide where to leave it. It doesn’t need to be a long letter either. Three simple words will do the trick!
16) Send someone an unusual and unexpected gift
We all appreciate receiving thoughtful gifts. But why wait for Christmas, or a birthday? Instead send something ‘just because’. An unexpected gift will always raise a smile.
17) Tell your child you’re proud of them
It’s important to build our children up. Not just to make them smile today, but so they have the confidence to succeed in life.
18) Tell someone you thought about them the other day
Knowing you’re in somebody’s thoughts is comforting and reassuring. So if you thought it, say it! Let that individual know that you’ve been on their mind.
19) Cook a surprise meal for your partner one night
Take the time to cook something special for your loved one as a surprise. You will make them smile and they will also feel appreciated. This also gives you the chance to try your hand cooking something new.
Alternatively, you could wake them up with a tasty smoothie. That’s an almost guaranteed way of ensuring that their day starts with a smile.
20) Tell your partner you love them
Hopefully this is something you do regularly already. But say it again. Let your partner know that you love and appreciate them.
Five fun facts about smiling
Here are five fun facts about smiling:
- Generally, women tend to smile more than men
- Smiling releases endorphins that make us feel better
- We are all born with the ability to smile, it’s not something we learn from others
- A smile is a universal expression of happiness
- A smiling person is thought to be a more pleasant, attractive, sociable, sincere and competent than a non-smiling person
- It takes only 17 muscles to smile, but 43 to frown
So go and spread a smile today. We hope we’ve given you the inspiration to do so!
Leave a Reply